Monday, August 25, 2014

August Burda Challenge - 08-2014 #103 Pieced Dress

Okay, I look short and really squatty compared to this model.
b_0814_103_1

 

I couldn’t be serious when I took these pictures. This dress is a woven with several pieces in the front that you can make different colors or leave the same. I wish I had gone with maybe one more print to make it a bit zanier. I was torn, though, because I wanted something that would easily rotate into my wardrobe.
b_0814_103_2

 

There are four pieces to the front bodice and five pieces for the front of the skirt. 
b_0814_103_3

 

It fits really well. And just an FYI, I put no seam allowance on for the hem and I cut off four inches when I hemmed it. I’m 5’5”, so I’m not that short. This dress would have been at mid-calf!
b_0814_103_4

 

Here’s the front flat.
b_0814_103_5

 

I lightened the back and drew in the darts so you could actually see them.
b_0814_103_6

 

The inside is lined with a JoAnn’s polyester of black flowers on a white background. I love fun linings.
b_0814_103_7

 

I used the same invisible zipper installation that I always do.
b_0814_103_8

 

Here’s the finish at the CB.
b_0814_103_9

 

See? I should have added some more color. Although the second one looks kind of like a bib. You get the idea though.
b_0814_103_10b_0814_103_11b_0814_103_12

 

Fun dress to sew though. I may wear it tomorrow. I love the color blocking, but I also love that it’s so neutral. Maybe a belt would spice it up a bit but still let it be neutral. 

13 comments:

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

wow I love this. Color blocking in an interesting way and great fabric choices.

Sigrid said...

Love your version in black and grey. Good you made it a bit shorter. It's nice to see the alternatives too, to me more inspiring than Burda's version.

Sofie M said...

Ooh it looks great and I can see how adding the extra colour makes it pop.

Fabric Epiphanies said...

Oh I love this! The fit is lovely and yours very versatile. I can see the options could be endless!

Antigone said...

great!

GroovyMom said...

Love it! Your version is great! Much better than the original photo. Wish I had your nerve to try something so excellent!

Amy said...

I love this and think your neutral version is really chic. The fit looks just right too! I wasn't inspired by Burda's photo, but yours makes me want to stitch this up :)

Лариса Шавшина said...

Fantastic dress, I really like.

Elizabeth Wellons said...

I love that dress on you, Dawn. I think your colors are elegant and make it very versatile for all sorts of occasions.

Erinn B said...

This is a very smart looking dress. Your version will last long after the colouring blocking trend (can it still be called that, three years into it?) has hit the road.
I do wish they had done something with the back though when designing the pattern.

Yolanda said...

I love your dress - I didn't like it in the magazine at all but now I am thinking of making it after seeing yours! thank you :)

justine said...

This looks great on you. You don't look the least bit squat OR short either! Perfect!

Ms. McCall said...

I was about to trace this dress and just couldn't - those red lines are difficult anyway, but with this many pieces, I just abandoned it altogether! I applaud you for tracing them all out, I do like the dress as is, but I like the one with the single yellow bit too. Beautiful work on this, it fits you perfectly!