Saturday, December 13, 2014

PR Winter Street Dress (and Jalie Leotards)

Round 3 of the PatternReview Sewing Bee was to take the Winter Street Dress and pimp it. We were able to download the pattern and make it our own. I had never really noticed this pattern before then, but it’s cute. Like really cute. I can see this becoming a stable in my winter dress wardrobe. Since I had already gotten out all the kinks and it was still in my sewing room, I decided to make another one. I got this fabric from Fabric Mart (my new FAVORITE fabric website) on Black Friday. I did all my Black Friday shopping from home this year and snagged a bunch of doubleknit fabric. This one is Blue/Chile/Multi Floral Medallions Puckered Double Knit (they are NOT a sponsor, so click away!) and I really like it. Sometimes I think it might be too “Grandma’s curtains", but then I look again and really like it. It needs a belt to break up all the pattern, but maybe not this silver glitter belt. A red or dark blue belt would be perfect, I think. 


pr_103_17

 

I didn’t really do a proper review of this dress when I used it for the Sewing Bee, I was too focused on my alterations. It’s a very simple, but cute, pattern. Knit, long-sleeved bodice with narrow skirt. I added the big turtleneck for the winter. It has two box pleats in the front sides and two in the back for shaping the skirt.
pr_103_18

 

 

I think I need to add just a smidge to the bottom of the bodice, it’s still riding just a tiny bit too high (you can barely see the seam above the belt in the picture below). I originally added about 3” to the front of the bodice tapering to about 2” at CB. I have a long torso, but usually only have to add about an inch to bodices.
pr_103_19

 

 

The fabric is fun and perfect for winter! I really like this dress. It’s the first thing I’ve made since the Sewing Bee. Well, I lie. It’s the first ME item I’ve made.
pr_103_20

 

 

These two leotards are actually the first two things I made after the Sewing Bee. Our little cousin gymnast is growing and needing more leotards. She is really good at it and in a more advanced class that meets a few times a week now. She needs variety! I texted her the fabric/patterns I had, and she picked the pattern and the fabrics. I think she has great taste!
j_3354_14

 

I love Jalie’s way of applying the binding on this pattern.
j_3354_15

 

This one is so shiny, it’s hard to photograph.
j_3354_16

 

j_3354_17

 

 

Because there is really no snow here (2 inches?), we have been doing a bit of hiking. The kids love it, and the scenery is beautiful. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for snow, SKIING!!!!
pr_103_16

7 comments:

Tomasa said...

That dress certainly does not look like grandma's curtains on you! So very pretty. What a lucky little girl your cousin is to have such pretty leotards custom made for her!

Carolyn Norman said...

I can't believe that Fabric Mart just became a favorite online resource! They are everything to me because they almost always have what I need. And this isn't a paid endorsement, they are just that amazing! Pretty dress!!!

Faye Lewis said...

Your dress is gorgeous. Just right for winter wonderland.

Julie said...

I love the dress as well as the items you sewed for the contest!! Especially the pants. I see you also have a little on that doesn't want their picture on the internet either!!:)

Ines said...

Love, love your dress. Wow! Terrific! I love the print, how it looks, it s a success !!! You are styling it just the way I like it, as for the belt I think a more rustic style since the print looks folk like , the width wouldn't matter but the color of your boots I think would be perfect, a belt R alph Lauren or Luck Brand or Fossil would carry . I think this is one of my favorite dresses ever! Great job! I would buy this, maybe you should star selling them!!!

Sue Kenny said...

That dress is a lovely style for you.

Michelle said...

I just made this dress last night because of your review. I wore it today to work. Love it!!! Will be making more. Thanks Dawn! Also congrats on winning!!
Michelle